Sunday, October 30, 2011

Oct Karl in Japan

A Note From Friends

Lord, Send Us Laborers for Your Harvest

“Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field” Matthew 9:38

The summer of 2011 was an amazing period of ministry for Okutama Bible Chalet (OBC), which is the camp and retreat ministry of SEND International in Japan. Over 420 children and young people attended our sponsored camps during that time. Many came from Japanese churches which relate to camp, but others came who had no background in the Bible or Christianity. These kids live in a highly sophisticated yet idolatrous culture which does not recognize God as God. A few have not even heard the name, Jesus. The need of these young ones is great.

After the summer I have given thought to the needs of our ministry in the years ahead. I believe God is stirring the nation of Japan through the earthquake and tsunami that took place on March 11th this year and that the impact of that event will continue to be felt in this society for years to come. I believe some Japanese hearts are being opened to consider God, the Creator, and His Word.

Four years ago God gave OBC a ministry vision called “Next Generation for Christ.” And, He has allowed our ministry to expand our capacity with a new three story facility to be completed by the summer of 2012. “Next Generation for Christ” is not about buildings, but it seems that God is preparing our ministry for greater harvest than we have seen in the past. We have been asking God to send us the spiritual workers that we need to bring in that harvest and to establish the next generation of His church in Japan.

God sent Karl to us this past summer and made him a significant part of reaching children and youth for Christ. Karl is a biblical “John Mark” for whom Paul made special request (II Tim. 4:11) that he be sent to him for the ministry that he was doing. Karl is a knowledgeable and gifted camp worker. He shows faithfulness in the tasks he is given. I ask that you pray for Karl and consider being a partner with Karl in His harvest in Japan through Okutama Bible Chalet’s ministry.

Bruce and Laura Harris
Director of Okutama Bible Chalet
Missionaries with SEND International Japan

OBC Grounds Grew
 
Working at Okutama Bible Chalet for 3 months this summer was a really great opportunity for me, however when I first heard that OBC was on less than one acre of land I couldn’t imagine how they would do “camp” on such a small piece of property. Being from North America, I’ve seen camp in action mostly on large acreage, however now that I’ve seen the OBC site in use and even seen groups of over one hundred using the facility at any given time, a whole lot of camp can run on even the “small” acreage that OBC has.
 
Wide games use the entire property, you don’t have to worry about kids going out of bounds because the boundaries are the property lines that are quite defined; the property is bordered by a forest on three sides and the bank down to the road on the fourth side. Bob McKemey, one of the previous directors, not only designed games that use the property to its fullest potential but also gave the games a narrative which is very useful for motivating Japanese children to participate in the games.

When I served at OBC, I was on the grounds crew; this included cleaning a lot of bathrooms, multi-purpose rooms and the dorms, doing the dishes and being available to complete the tasks around the property. One of the responsibilities of the grounds crew was leading the river rafting activity; I really enjoyed this a lot. By the end of the summer I went down the river with campers almost 20 times and jumped off the cliff along the river over 60 times which was a ton of fun.

I am really looking forward to the time when I’ll be in Japan long term, when I am able to be involved at OBC through all four seasons, see the year round ministry of OBC and perhaps other opportunities that God may have for me.

Sharing at TLC

On Oct. 23rd I had an opportunity to share my passion and God’s calling on my life to fulltime ministry in Japan during the morning service with my home church, The Life Centre. Following the service I served a Japanese meal I had prepared in advance of currey rice, mabo dofu and yaki soba as a fundraiser by donation to around 60 people. It was a very encouraging opportunity for me to share with “my church”. I had a lot of people help serve; it was so encouraging to see that many people wanted to see the lunch be a success.

Even though on paper I was a missionary being sent by The Life Centre, it now “feels” official knowing that the Life Centre congregation has heard me share of my passion for Japan and my ministry opportunity at Okutama Bible Chalet. 
Your Brother in Christ,
Karl Friesen

No comments:

Post a Comment