Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Karl in Japan Sept. 2011 Update

WHY I STAYED LONGER
My original plan was to stay for two weeks when I went to Japan in June to reconnect with my friends in Aomori and acquaint myself with SEND Japan by serving as a volunteer for one week at Okutama Bible Chalet (OBC). It didnʼt quite go as I planned; this was a good thing. Once I was nearing the end of my original departure date I was given the opportunity to stay longer, continue serving at OBC and attend the SEND Japan conference which would give me the opportunity to meet and get to know more SEND missionaries serving in Japan. I extended my time to mid-July.

My time at the conference was really a good time of teaching by Chris Thomas of Torchbearers International whom I have had the privilege of hearing speak while studying at Capernwray Harbour on Vancouver Island 8 years ago. As I neared my July departure date and OBC looked at their staffing requirements, it became evident that they would be short staff for the remainder of the summer season if the head grounds crew and I both left OBC in July.  OBC contacted SEND Canada to get their approval for me to extend my stay once again.  SEND Canada affirmed this and once again I changed my flight so that I could continue at OBC to the end of the summer season. With this extension it also gave me an opportunity to serve on a SEND missionary 5-day relief trip to the Japanese that were affected by the earthquake and tsunami in March.

Serving this summer was not just a great time but a tremendous affirmation to me of my
calling to serve the church in Japan long-term. I am looking forward to future opportunities to
serve in Japan.

SERVING AND SEEING
 As the SEND relief team drove northeast of Tokyo, the highways were open to traffic but travel was slow due to the number of people traveling north trying to get to communities that still desperately needed help with the disaster relief. My team served for three days in the city of Ishinomaki. We served in many practical ways; I personally spent all three days removing dead trees in the yards of two homes that were killed by the salt water from the tsunami. Other
missionaries on my team were able to pray with the people we were serving and encourage them.

On the third day we went for a short visit to the town of Onagawa, one of the communities that was hit the hardest by the tsunami that devastated Japan in March 2011 to see for myself how bad the destruction really was. As we drove to this town, sandbags lined the front of homes and
businesses to holdback high tide. Sections of road were rebuilt at least one foot higher than
they were originally constructed due to the fact that this region had dropped as much as 170 cm because of the earthquake and now the high tides were washing into homes because of the drop in elevation. I was shocked by the extent of the destruction; I was overwhelmed by the evidence of lives lost as we entered the town proper.

Our first stop was at the hospital parking lot which overlooks the community’s harbor and
downtown core 50 feet below. One of the first things I noticed as a result of the tsunami was
the complete and widespread destruction of the city’s commercial and industrial buildings;
currently there is no trade or commerce here.

Even the hospital parking lot wasn’t spared; there were cars found flipped upside down after
the tsunami rushed through. We drove through the ruins while our guide clarified the true loss for this community.  She told us that 1,500 people were killed and another 1,500 were lost in the tsunami. The hardest thing for me to hear was that there was only one Christian witness in this community of 10,000 people which meant that 30% of this community was lost for all eternity. There are not enough willing Christian workers to serve in Japan.

SEND ME
Member Orientation Program (MOP) is the 2nd mandatory training session required by SEND missionaries once 50% monthly support is promised by our Partners. I am so grateful to God for my friends and family that have already committed to supporting me, but in order to attend the next MOP in the New Year I still need about $1000 per month promised by Nov 30th. After MOP I’ll receive my departure date for long-term ministry in Japan. Please prayerfully consider how you might partner with me and SEND’s ministry in Japan. If you are unable to give at this time, please continue to pray with me for Japan.

Sept. 2011 PARTNER STATS.
Committed Prayer Supporters - 24
Prayer Supporters still needed - 6

28.2% - Monthly Support pledged ($1,260)
71.8% - Monthly Support still needed ($3,205)

52.7% - Out Going Costs covered ($27,398.38)
47.3% - Out Going Costs still needed ($24,620.38)

Your brother in Christ,
Karl Friesen
 
CONTACT INFO.
SEND International - Canada
#1-22423 Jefferies Road
RR #5, Komoka, Ont.
N0L 1R0
http://www.sendcanada.org/
1-888-918-5036

Home
2946 Cardinal Place
Abbotsford BC
V2T 5P6
karlinjapan@hotmail.com
home: 604-852-8877
cell: 778-245-4112

No comments:

Post a Comment