Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Karl in Japan Nov 2010 Update

Merry Christmas!

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 
Isaiah 9:6
OPEN DOORS
            I had an amazing opportunity to share with two churches in the Kootenay’s on Nov. 20 and 21.  On Saturday I spoke to the youth at the Castlegar New Life Assembly and on Sunday to the congregation during their morning worship service, then that evening at the First Presbyterian Church in Trail.  These churches have been a tremendous encouragement to me; they opened their doors, giving me an opportunity to share and warmly welcomed me with their hospitality.  I had a great time reconnecting with staff and campers that I got to know at Pines Bible Camp where I worked this past summer and I got to meet church members, answering their questions and speaking with them one on one.  I’m looking forward to sharing with a number of other churches in the New Year. 
            Thank you for praying with me for open doors; small groups and churches giving me the opportunity to share with their congregations.
             If you are or know a small group leader, if you have a group of friends, if you have a mission’s representative in your church or if you know a church that you think might be interested in hearing about ministry in Japan, please send me their contact information.

A FRIEND’S STORY
      While I was preparing to share at the churches in the Kootenay’s this past weekend, I was reminded of a friend of mine in Japan, the father of two children I really enjoyed in the kindergarten English class I taught in my home and husband to their Christian mother. She was a key person in this class; I was impressed at the way she amazingly connected with the other mothers and shared with them who Jesus is, however her husband had never made a personal commitment to Christ.
      One day while waiting for guests to arrive at my home for dinner, my friend told me that he wanted his children to be Christians; this was somewhat surprising to me since he wasn’t a Christian. Later I asked Pastor Martin, who I worked under, why my friend would have said this. Martin explained that our friend was the professor of Japanese religion and philosophy at the university and couldn’t make a commitment because of social pressures and what would be said of him if he was a Christian in that teaching role.
      Social pressures are very key to the choices and decisions the Japanese make in their life. How sad it is to know that my friend may never choose Christianity himself. He and his wife now have 3 children; I think of him often and continue to pray for his salvation.

TRAINING FOR JAPAN
      In my last update, my goal was to reach 50% of my monthly support this fall so that I could attend MOP (Member Orientation Program) in January/February 2011. SEND has informed us that the program is postponed until next summer due to the fact that there weren’t enough people to attend it this winter. Have you considered how you can help me reach my goal? I’d be happy to explain some options or ways to do this.

PRAYER AND PRAISE
      Please pray as I continue to connect with those that God is calling to partner with and come alongside me as I prepare to serve with SEND.
      I thank God for His faithfulness, for those that have committed to Partner with me and send me words of encouragement.


EVENTS
      In October I was invited to Gospel Night put on by Vancouver Japanese Gospel Church (VJGC) supported by a number of Korean churches in the area. This event’s focus was to reach the Japanese on work and student visas. It was good to see how VJGC and other churches in their community are working to reach individuals in their own community. I was also able to spend time with VJGC’s church family for their Halloween event; it was lots of fun. I continue to be involved in International Youth Group as much as I can outside of Sunday mornings.
      At the beginning of November I attended Passion Vancouver with VJGC. It was a great time of fellowship and worship lead by Chris Tomlin, Matt Redmen and the David Crowder Band. Guest speaker Lui Gillio, spoke on how we are to serve Christ with passion; if your passion is in the business world, serve Christ there; if it’s in the church, serve Him there. This really resonated with me and affirmed my desire to serve the Japanese people in Japan.

May you feel Christ blessings as you celebrate his coming to save us, as a child.

Karl Friesen

CONTACT INFO
SEND International - Canada
#1-22423 Jefferies Road
RR #5, Komoka, Ont.
N0L 1R0
http://www.sendcanada.org/
1-888-918-5036

Home
2946 Cardinal Place
Abbotsford BC
V2T 5P6
karlinjapan@hotmail.com
604-852-8877

No comments:

Post a Comment