Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Karl in Japan Sept 2010 Update


SERF’S OUT
It was a busy summer at Pines Bible Camp in Grand Forks, BC; this year I worked with Leanne in the SERF Program (Serving with Enthusiasm while building Relationships and having Fun). I had forgotten that as a leader you sometimes just have to keep going at camp even though you feel like sitting down and taking it easy. I learned a lot from my SERFs and grew even more in my Christian walk…I had a number boys from very broken homes whom I just needed to love; this was hard sometimes. I had two Korean exchange students for the entire summer from Chilliwack, BC which made for some very interesting social dynamics.

It took me a long time to understand and even love one of my boys; he comes from a very broken home. At camp he was confrontational and if possible tried to steal all of my attention from the other SERFs. He came to the first week of SERF and then came three more weeks including the last week. Looking back and comparing the first week with him to the final week, I don’t think his behavior improved that much -- he still fought with his fellow SERFs and still tried to be belligerent -- but I would have to say my attitude towards him changed. Christ’s work in me was very evident; I loved him even though he was still the same boy.

Please pray for my boys as they return to some very difficult situations; that they would remember that Christ loves them in any situation they find themselves in; and that their desire to grow in their relationship with Christ continues.


SHARING AT GC
When I was back in Grand Forks for the summer I had the opportunity to reconnect with many old friends at my Grand Forks “home church”, Gospel Chapel. It felt like coming home. On July 18th I was given the opportunity to share about my heart for the Japanese and the ministry opportunity that I’ll have in Japan. It was very encouraging for me that people were interested in how the Lord has been leading me towards ministry in Japan.

Over the next few weeks I’ll be connecting with people about opportunities to share over the fall. If you have a group (Bible study, youth group, friends) with whom you would like me to share, please contact me.

Please pray that there will be more churches that would be willing to open their doors and give me an opportunity to share with their congregations and that churches that I have contacted will respond to my request to share about my ministry opportunity in Japan.


FAMILY CONFERENCE
At the end of July I headed off to the SEND Family Conference; it was a great time of meeting people who are serving with SEND around the world and reconnecting with those I had met at the Canadian office last November. It was also great meeting those who are currently serving and who have served in Japan.

I picked up a copy of Rollin S. Reasoner biography who served in Japan with SEND from 1951 to 1993 in many different capacities -- street evangelist, director of the mission, and college teacher. The book has been a great resource for me to learn more about SEND’s history in Japan and what it really takes to serve as a long-term missionary in Japan or anywhere in the world for that matter.

One thing I have taken away from my reading is praying for key issues. So I thought I should try to write down a few simple prayers that wouldn’t change for me whether I am in Canada or Japan.
• That I’ll continue to grow in my relationship with Christ (Col 2:6, 7)
• That I’ll be an effective witness for Christ (2 Cor. 3:2-6)
• That I’ll be drawn to God’s will.
I’m very grateful for those of you who faithfully pray for me.

12/5
It’s not 24/7 it is 12/5 -- the number of months that an individual commits to being a monthly financially supporter; 12 months for five years. I understand that I am a young missionary; if someone commits to being a monthly supporter it may look like this is a life-time commitment or at the very least a couple of decades. Right now, all I need is individuals to partner with me for my first term which is five years so that I can enter the mission field and start serving.

My goal is to reach 50% of my monthly support this fall so that I can attend MOP (Member Orientation Program) in January/February 2011. Please pray that people will respond to God’s call to be involved in missions globally.

Your Brother in Christ,
Karl Friesen

SEND International - Canada
#1-22423 Jefferies Road
RR #5, Komoka, Ont.
N0L 1R0
http://www.sendcanada.org/
1-888-918-5036

Home
2946 Cardinal Place
Abbotsford, BC
V2T 5P6
karlinjapan@hotmail.com
604-852-8877

No comments:

Post a Comment