Thursday, August 20, 2015

August Update

SCHOOL AND SUMMER
The school term has finished here at Torchbearers Yamanakako. It was a very fun season. We had a total of 16 student pass through our doors this term to learn from 10 different teachers that came to Torchbearers from around the world. 
Work Day Wednesday was the weekly event that I enjoyed the most because it was the one day that I could spend any significant amount of time with the students which allowed me to get to know them as we worked on projects together at Torchbearers and in the local community. At graduation it was great to hear the students share about their experience, what they learned through the teaching while being removed from their home cultures. They not only increased their academic knowledge but also grown spiritually, more inline with who they have come to know God wants them to be. It was great to hear the students share their desire to potentially serve God here in Japan in the future but most of all to hear their desire to be a more effective witness back home.
With the school being over, Torchbearers Yamanakako staff had two weeks for new staff orientation and prep for the summer season. This year our summer season is only spread over 6 weeks; essentially ending by August 24. During this time I am part of the meal prep crew which means I get to work in the kitchen putting together meals for our guests. It has been a lot of fun to work alongside the new summer staff and serving the Japanese church by providing a place to host retreats and camps.
August 31st I’m getting on a plane for Canada. I have already started the weekly countdown and as it gets closer to the end of the month the daily countdown will begin. There will be a lot on my “to do” list before I leave, like emptying my bank account, packing and saying good bye to people and places. Once I’m in Canada I’ll have 14 days to find a car, job and a place to live before the first class for the Education Assistant Certificate at Columbia Bible College. I don’t know if I have set my schedule too tightly but I’m hoping it’s not.
This is my last update from Japan and I want to thank you for your prayers and support as I have served here in Japan. This won’t be my last update I will write at least one more to confirm my arrival and my settling in in Canada.
Thank you again Your Brother in Christ,
Karl Friesen

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget that last update! :) Happy Abbotsford Christmas. It's our last one in Zambia and then we will be joining you!

    ReplyDelete