Monday, August 13, 2012

August Update - I have the Go


Three Months to Go
Please permit me to share some really good news; I have received the “GO” from the SEND Japan office to go to Japan this fall. The last several weeks SEND Canada, SEND Japan and I have been in communication with each other about my anticipated arrival in Japan. In my last update I indicated that I needed to raise just under half of my monthly financial support; no, I do not have 100% of my support, however, SEND Japan is inviting me to serve at Okutama Bible Chalet (OBC) in Tokyo for a 2-year term while several full-time staff are on consecutive home service 2 years.
I will be serving at OBC and doing language studies part-time so a large portion of my out-going support that was designated for 2 years of full-time language studies has been freed up for other areas of my ministry support. There is still a need for financial support totaling $8792 over the next 2 years (or $365 per month for 2 years). This is very exciting for me.
At the end of the two-year term I am hoping to continue ministry in Japan as a “tent maker”, one who financially provides for his own ministry, by teaching English. This is not the “ideal” situation but through discussions with friends and trusted advisers this past month it seems that this may be the direction God is leading me. A job as an English kindergarten teacher during the weekday could potentially free my evenings and weekends for ministry and connecting with the Japanese people.
While I writing this letter, the visa application forms from the SEND Japan office have arrived!!! I will complete the forms and forward them to the SEND Japan office where the process will be completed. My understanding is that it can take 1.5 to 3 months before I get the approved documents and then I take them to the Japanese consulate in Vancouver for my Visa to be stamped in my passport. So, sometime in the next 3 months I will be on a plane to Japan. The last time I went to serve in Japan for more than a year was Sept. 26, 2006. It’s hard for me to believe that it has been 6 years since I first really met and got to know Japanese people one on one.  Through those relationships my heart desires more than ever to see the Japanese national church grow even more.

PLANTS in Toronto
This month I’ll be going to Toronto for the Principles of Language Acquisition: Natural Tools & Strategies (PLANTS), this course will prepare me to learn Japanese in the most efficient way for me.  While in Toronto I have made plans to connect with a number of Japanese churches in the area. I am looking forward to sharing with a new community of believers of where God is leading me to serve in Japan.
On another note…a little less than a year after demolition started on Family House at Okutama Bible Chalet (OBC), the new Ome House its replacement, is now complete; the keys were handed over on August 6th. Ome House will provide new office space and another floor of dorms that the previous building didn’t have.


Please Pray
  • That the visa application process will go smoothly
  • The last of my financial support will come in quickly
  • Wisdom and God’s leading as I share during these last months here in Canada




No comments:

Post a Comment